Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Why do you need a Medical Interpreter Certificate to become a medical interpreter?

The need for certified medical interpreters continues to grow.

The strong demand is one result of the burgeoning Spanish-speaking population in the United States.

The Pew Research indicates that one-third of

Certified Spanish Medical InterpreterHispanics cannot speak English proficiently.

In a previous article, you learned just who is a medical interpreter.

I  am studying to become a certified Spanish medical interpreter. Check out my progress in the previous article.

Below, you will learn just why a certification is necessary for interpreters to work in hospitals and clinics.

Please tweet this article to your friends.


The importance of professional medical interpreters

A medical error could result in a very negative outcome for a patient's health.

The Willie Ramirez incident is a sad, prime example.

An non-certified "interpreter" could have deadly results.

Moreover, a relative or friend also is not qualified to communicate with medical staff when a loved one is sick or injured.

Plus, without proper professional detachment, it is unfair to ask a family member or friend to feel empathy and try to focus at the same time on communicating with doctors or nurses.

Research indicates that Limited English-speaking patients often receive inferior medical care because an interpreter is not available to communicate with medical staff.

That is not right.

A rigorous certification program which includes a 40 or 60-hour certification course, a written and finally an oral exam helps prepare qualified interpreters.

I am studying now to begin a certification course in January. 

I do need your help in the form of a donation though. 

That is why I started a GoGetFunding campaign to help pay for the courses and exams to become a certified Spanish medical interpreter.

My effort to become a certified Spanish medical interpreter

In the previous post, I gave you an update of my progress of studying anatomy and physiology.

One needs the medical vocabulary and working knowledge of how the body functions to be a good medical interpreter.

By January, I will be ready to take the 60-hour exam to start the certification process.

I am fluent in Spanish and am already a certified translator. 

Plus, I have had some interpretation classes when I was studying translation.

Thus, I have a strong base to prepare me for success as a certified Spanish medical interpreter. 

Please give to help me pay for my courses and exams.


Conclusion

The 60 million people in the United States today that do not speak English well could not potentially receive adequate medical care.

However, a certified medical interpreter can be a linguistic bridge between these Limited English-speaking patients and their doctors.

I accept the challenge to become a certified Spanish medical interpreter. 

Please help me pay for my courses and exams in January.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. Please tweet this article to your friends :)

No comments: